20 Feb Egg loaf recipe
The egg loaf is hugely popular on the Banting and Keto scene. Apparently the recipe became an instant hit when @keto.sam.iam posted the recipe on Instagram. Not gonna lie, I was skeptical at first, but I was willing to try anything for french toast.
The recipe is super easy. I adapted it slightly (just added vanilla essence) from Ketoconnect. I used a silicone bread pan which I find is much easier to clean and it (almost) always comes out of the pan perfectly.
- 8 tbsp butter
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 8 large eggs
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- Preheat your oven to 180°C and grease a silicone bread pan. You can also line a normal bread tin with grease proof paper.
- Combine all the ingredients in a blender until smooth in consistency.
- Pour the batter in the pan and sprinkle additional cinnamon on top, if desired.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes (time will vary depending on your oven). It will puff up when baked, but fall once out of the oven and cooled for a couple minutes.
- Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes prior to slicing and serving.
- Best stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days
Not the prettiest, but oh so tasty!
I served mine by frying it in melted butter until golden brown. Then I added a teaspoon of Sweetener of choice, I used Xylitol, and a dash of cinnamon and poured it over the FRENCH TOAST. Going to start calling it that because,damn, it was just like the real thing. Ok, ok, the texture is a bit off, but really guys???